Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to Nature in Railay

Railay is a laid back and we take it easy. Steve doesn’t get his appetite back and is still irregular...I am feeling ok. We spend time hiking, walking the beach, and in the pool. We hire a climbing guide for a half day of climbing. There are over 700 bolted routes in the limestone cliffs around Railay. The climbing is fun- there are cool hand holds (in cracks and rock knobs) but I struggle with the foot holds. We are climbing on well used extremely popular routes and I wonder if that causes the rock to be smooth and shiney in spots- or maybe its the humidity making me slip...or the shoes...I don’t know! I’m far from pro and Steve scolds me when I classify myself as beginner. Despite his weakness Steve has a few rad climbs (yeah I said Rad- I think thats pro talk) he even starts one climb on an overhang. I am proud of my 90ft climb which started as a 5.8 and ended as a 5.10! I had a glorious moment on this climb when I lost my hold, fell, and landed on another climbers head. We didn't make heavy contact and I managed to get off his route- but it was rather embarrassing- the rocks were full of other climbers. Its a good time and we don’t meet any snakes in the rock cracks- but Steve thought he felt one in a hold and almost fell off the rock.

We want to see more of the area. There are boat excursions to surrounding islands (including Ko Phi Phi) and to patches of coral for snorkeling. I don’t know what possesses us to sign up for such trips- I don’t do so well on boats and Steve doesn’t like salt water- but I like marine life and islands. The speed boat holds 30 passengers and the guide was awful. He had a strong accent and would yell at people and get flustered when people didn’t follow his instructions (but we couldn’t understand him and many passengers were ESL). The excursion sites were fantastic though! The water was clear turquoise and full of beautiful fish. The water was warm and I felt like I was soaking in an epsom salt bath which was great considering my upper body was aching from the climbing! The guide brought rotten bread along and threw it in the sea causing hundreds of fish to surround the boat- so we didn’t have to venture far to see them, but then I got worried a fish frenzy would attract some larger fish with large teeth that could potentially mistaken my thigh for bread (my tan is weak). We visited some islands and then had a wavey ride to Ko Phi Phi for lunch. I was of course wearing my handy anti-nausea bracelets, but I got a little woozy. Despite being hungry, I only ate a small amount for lunch as a precaution. I laughed to myself when I realized my lunch of spag and pineapple were both delicacies in past vomiting experiences. We walked around Ko Phi Phi, it was pretty and had lots of shops and people. We boated to another beach and opted out of the off shore snorkeling. Ah, the dreaded boat ride back. It was an hour ride and the waves were definitely noticeable. I had befriended a British shipmate who luckily had a plastic bag with her. I chundered, but was really proud of my stealth barfing technique. I don’t think anyone would have noticed had it not dripped red barf drops all over my white towel. Steve offered me a headlamp and I just laughed.
As Steve forces food down with no appetite, I enjoy the great things available. Every morning I have muesli with fresh fruits and yogurt. The restaurants have BBQ’s every night, you choose fish of the day or chicken skewers. It comes with veggies, a potato, and a corn on the cob- all prepared on the BBQ. So delicious!! I feel bad for Steve who usually has no problem eating, he is losing weight and getting a little boney. Next destination- Ko Samui!

1 comment:

  1. I'll organize a trip with the ACC for next weekend: Climbing in Railey! how does it sound?
    hola from Vanovuer!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete