Thursday, March 19, 2009

Adios Madrid


On our last day in Madrid, we signed up for a city tour (the legal one!) It was very interesting- I will just sum up my favorite part...Madrid was built on natural springs and the walls that surrounded the city were made of flint. Because of this they have a slogan "Fui sobre agua edificada; mis muros de fuego son" which means: "I was built on water; my walls are made of fire"...I love that!

After the tour we decided to get something to eat so we would have energy for the Royal Palace...we went to a little shop and got a ham & cheese baguette, a bag of cheesies, and what we thought was a no-name bottle of cola...we walk to the park bench and I notice the coke is kind of purpley, “Steve I think this is grape coke”....we crack er open only to find out our coke is actually some kind of carbonated red wine in a pop bottle! Lesson Learned: pay more attention to labels. The label said “tinto” and “4.8% alcohol”.

The Palace was awesome! We took a tour through it with a guide- however no photos allowed...the palace is still a working palace- the King does not live there but he conducts official business there and a portion of the castle is his private area.

No comments:

Post a Comment