Sunday, May 31, 2009

Florence





While in Cinque Terre we made room arrangements for Florence. We had our directions all laid out and finding the hotel was a smooth process. But why should things stay smooth? We arrive to the hotel only to be told the online booking company has overbooked them and we are redirected to another hotel. I was really upset because I thought this was a ploy and we would end up in some dingy dark hole. So, once again we are walking in the blistering heat with our packs on. Another new city with another new map. We locate the building and enter the hotel, again we are redirected- this time just up the stairs to the next hotel. Now I was really worried. The desk man gave us the lowdown and showed us to our room. It was a little tight for space but otherwise nice. We had luxury items- an air conditioner and a bathroom! Yes! But the first night we didn’t know how to use the AC and had to sleep with the window open and all the loud drunk people kept me awake. 

The markets in Florence were awesome! Leather vendors selling belts, cashmere lined gloves, fantastic jackets and of course purses! I decided I couldn’t leave Florence without a purse. The selection of styles and colors were endless. I fell in love with an oversized dark purple bag. Steve says you can fit a body in it. But I love it! I bargained with the vendor and got this work of art for 60 euro. I’ve named it “Pursis Maximus.” Steve bought himself a leather belt, but he hasn’t named it...One evening we were lured into a leather shop- Steve played along with the vendor and before we knew it he was trying on jackets. The first one they raved was “the latest Italian style” and I was desperately trying to make eye contact with Steve to warn him that he looked like a complete flamer in this shiny/tight/short leather jacket. I was laughing and imagined what shoes he would wear with that? What pants? It was FAR too Italian for my outdoorsy, unfashionable, laid back husband. The next jacket was amazing. It was a buffalo hide and it was casual yet perfect for my Steve! Oh how I wanted him to buy it! Then he said to the salesman “why don’t you find one for my wife” and the very first one he brought me was amazing! It was a dark brown fitted little bomber jacket with a cadet collar. It was so pretty. I felt like a sassy euro chick. The ensemble would have been complete with some high heels and a mo-ped. I even tried Pursis Maximus on with the jacket and they got along great. Steve suggested that I think about whether I really want a jacket and if I’d really wear it, so we left. Maybe he was right and my decision making skills were foggy from the fabulous smell and the soft feel of the leather. Then we went into another leather shop. Oh man. Once again I am overwhelmed and I am wearing “the one.” This time it had a little belt at the bottom and was just as sassy as the last. I needed to clear my head and sleep on it- sad to report I left another leather store without a jacket. However, I have had some time to consider the purchase and the logistics involved in sending one home (along with Maximus) and Steve and I will be shopping for my leather jacket in Rome.   

There are many museums in Florence. We decided to go to the Acadamia primarily to see Michaelango’s Statue of David. The room housing the statue was specifically built for it in the late 1800’s when it was relocated from the Piazza della Signora after being struck by lightening (a replica is in its place now). It was fabulous! Sometimes I wonder why things are called masterpieces- but not with this one! I remember my parents having a statue of David. I don’t know why they had it (a wedding gift?) I will have to ask about this...Strange how things in other parts of the world can stir up memories from your childhood in Elkford! Anyway, the Italians are mighty strict on enforcing a “no pictures, no video” policy in Museums and Galleries. We managed to get a little stealth footage of David anyway. We visited the Uffizi gallery as well. This one (like many others) claims to have the greatest collection of art in Europe. We saw works by Michaelangelo, Donatello, Bernini, and Bonachelli...They were all neat because we had seen them before- just not in real life. I liked them all more than the Mona Lisa :)

Finally, we went to the Galileo exhibits in the Science museum. This was my favorite. The displays showed tools and drawings early astronomers produced and used as they made discoveries about the solar system and the earth. It was unbelievable. There was a collection of tools used by Galileo himself. His telescope was on display. And his middle finger. Yup, Galileo’s middle finger was in a case. Apparently it was cut it off after his death. Its the same finger he wore that red ring on...

From Florence we had to make a big decision. Make a whirlwind trip to Venice or take our time getting to Rome? We decided on the latter and Venice will have to be seen another time. We are now in Siena and staying in a cabin type thing in a campground. There is a nice pool and a cafe. We enjoyed the pool on the hot day we got here and today it has been nothing but thunder and showers! We have met a friendly couple from Parksville who are brave enough to be RV’ing around Italy. They have offered us a ride to Rome and we will leave with them tomorrow morning. 


2 comments:

  1. I think that David should be called Steve from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Travellor guys: Miss you...love Pursis Maximus ..so envious you got into the Uffizi...I never made a reservation so missed out. Wasn't David amazing???So now its Rome...just back from there in Aprila dnloved it all...don't miss hiking up to the cupola of St. Peters...or Villa Borgese if you can,,,have enjoyed all your blogs Happy trails Nona

    ReplyDelete