Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our first taste of Italy!




We arrive at the bus terminal in Milan, except it doesn’t feel like we are in a city at all. We are somewhere on the outside of the city center and once again without a map. We use the metro map to guesstimate where we should go and at the same time follow the crowds. We end up right smack in the heart of Milan. We climb the stairs from the metro and are greeted with the massive Duomo. There is a huge square and people and pigeons everywhere. We find tourist information and get a map. I had researched a place to stay but couldn’t figure out how to book online. We had the address and in the smoking hot heat started to walk there. It was very hot. I can’t decide if its worse to be walking with my pack on in the heat or in the rain. Along the way we pass many three and four star hotels- and in Italy they charge the room per person. Its not 60 euro for a room, its 60 euro per person. Yikes. We finally get to the little place I found online only to find out its full. I was surprised by this because the day before it had rooms- but tourism season is among us now... Luckily though, we found a place just a few minutes down the street. The manager was hilarious and really helped us out with information and directions.

We showered and set out for our only night in Milan. We walked back to the main square. It was even more busy now- more people, more pigeons, artists, music, a low-key photo shoot, a loud protest with riot police on stand-by. Steve tired to punt some pigeons by luring them in with crumbs from his gelato cone. I thought we were going to fined or something because he was laughing like a mad man as he tried to kick the birds. I tried it too, but I just tapped them and it was gross feeling the feathers on my foot. I had read about a street market and after a long and diligent effort we had no luck finding it. We chose a little place for dinner on a pedestrian only street and watched the people go by. I read that Milan is a financial and fashion center. I don’t know about the financial stuff but the fashion was definitely flashy! Men and women, old and young, were completely put together. High heels (I study how they walk on all this cobblestone and it still baffles me), hats, jewelry, mini dresses, nothing makes you feel more like a grubby traveler than being in Milan! I don’t think people here need a reason to dress so flamboyantly-they just do it. Or maybe they do it because everyone does it. We passed by many designer shops but my favorite was a high end home decor store showing off bath tubs shaped like high heels! I thought of my city mom enjoying some wine and a dip in the gigantic shoe...

Anyway, during our dinner, two men (a turk and an aussie) were seated beside us. Personal space once again pushed to the limits as our tables were touching. We started chatting and they turned out to be editors for reality tv shows (Big Brother, Survivor, and some european shows). I was excited- could I be cast for Survivor!? Should I tell them my awesome new twist for the show? I played it cool. I’m pretty sure they were legit- especially after seeing them alongside Pamela Anderson and a bunch of other bay watch playboy bunny types on their camera. The aussie owns a restaurant and hotel in southern Turkey and spends a lot of time there. He gave us some great tips, warnings, and ideas for our visit there. The turk was more interested in how we could be traveling for nine months and had many questions for us...

Before leaving for the bus station we thought we would grab a little breakfast. We stepped out of the hotel to find the street outside transformed into a market! Yay! We strolled through the market and then sat for a cappuccino and orange juice with a croissant. I didn’t buy anything at the market but had a good time looking...We went back for our packs, headed to the train station and bought tickets for Cinque Terre.

No comments:

Post a Comment